You are here
In this interactive workshop, you will learn how to apply behavioural based safety to improve safety performance. This material is derived both from years of practical experience and focused research; the strategies and techniques are sound and effective when properly applied. You will learn about common misconceptions in behavioural-based safety, common problems with traditional safety efforts, and how organizations can overcome these problems. This workshop includes stories, real life examples, and case studies that will help you illustrate the effective ideas in your organization.
Benefits to Attendees
- Take away specific practices you can implement immediately in your organization.
- Apply behavioural approach to improve workplace safety performance.
- List of online safety and health references conveniently divided by category.
- Learn the principles and strategies behind the success of behavioural-based safety.
- Develop custom behavioural checklists to use in your organization.
Welcome, Participant & Instructor Introductions Course Objectives & Outcomes
A Brief History of BBS
Case Study: The Original BBS Experiment
What Are the Basic Purposes for BBS?
- Improving Your Safety Culture
- Attaining Higher Level of Safety Performance
- Activities: Current BBS Status & Safety Culture Analysis
How to Use BBS to Improve Safety Performance
- Ten Behavioral Principles to Improve Safety Performance
- ABC Analysis as a Safety Improvement Tool
Activity: Site Specific ABC Analysis Case Study: Petrochemical Hydrogen Cyanide BBS: Myths, Magic & Reality – Definitions, Distinctions, Half-Truths
- Clear BBS –Defined & Described
- Values vs. Priorities – why it matters in safety
- Process vs. Programs – How this distinction can make a difference
- BBS: Myths, Magic & Reality
7 Reasons Why BBS Sometimes Does Not Work Very Well?
Not Well Understood, Not well communicated, Trying to do too much, Lack of support, Lack of Safety Partnership, No process structure, Lack of CredibilityExample Cases
Activity: Identifying Your Safety & Behavioral Issues
Why Does BBS Work When Done Well?
- Requires Employee Engagement Case Study: International Oil DC
- Generates Enthusiasm for Safety
- Leads to Ownership for Safety Case Study: Large Beverage Company
- Enhances Awareness for Brothers Keeper
- Involves All Levels in Safety, when done right
Activity: Gaining Meaningful Employee Engagement in Safety
Advanced BBS Case: Large Multinational Manufacturing Co.
- How they identify behavioral pinpoints
- How they adjust their observation & feedback for maximum impact
- How they measure their BBS Performance
How to Identify and Remove Barriers to Successful BBS
- What are common barriers to successful BBS?
- Diagnosis: Why is there often resistance to BBS efforts?
- Prescription: How Can Organizations Handle Resistance to BBS?
- Activity: Handling Barriers to BBS
Eight BBS Steps that Lead to Safety Excellence
- Identify Critical Behaviors for BBS Inventory
- Train & Educate Everyone Involved in the Effort
- Develop Customized Behavioral Checklists for Each Unit
- Skillful Observation of Safety-Related Behaviors
- Skillful Coaching & Feedback to Improve Behaviors – SW US Case
- Collect and Analyze Behavioral Data
- Remove Existing Barriers and Facilitate Safe Behavior
- Systematically Improve Your Safety Process
How to Develop Critical Behavior Checklists (CBC)
Activity: Developing a Customized CBC
Tips for Developing Observation Skills Activity: Safety Coaching
How to Develop Feedback & Dialog Skills
- Tips for Good Feedback Skills
- Feedback Applications under Various Conditions
- Activity: Developing Feedback Skills for BBS
Effectively Using Behavioral Data
- Collecting & Analyzing Data to Determine Trends
- Displaying Data for Employee Information & Motivation
- Using Data to Improve Safety Processes
Activity: Journey to BBS Excellence
- Maturity Paths
- Maturity Ladders
- Worksheet Assessment
Evolving Issues in Making BBS Most Effective
- Determining Your Best Observation Strategy •
- Strategies for Using The four Basic Feedback Mechanisms •
- Pinpointing Behavior
Case Study: Heavy Manufacturing Plant, MW USA
Evolving Concepts for BBS – What Can We Learn from these?
- People-Based Safety
- Self-Observation Strategies
- Lean BBS
- Do It Yourself BBS
Various Case Studies: International Furniture/Electronics Co., New York Transit Company
Activity/Video: Behavioral Elements of CSB Investigation
- Anatomy of a Disaster •
- Lessons Learned •
- Distinctions Between Personal Safety & Process Safety
Application Strategies for Session II
How to Motivate Safety Performance
Rewards, Incentives & Recognition
- Common Problems with Incentive Programs
- What is the Hawthorne Effect and Why is it flawed?
- How to “Motivate” safe behavior
Discussion of Incentive Case Studies Activity: Success Stories & Lessons Learned in R&R
Designing Effective Safety Interventions
- Distinctions about kinds of safety interventions
- Making BBS Interventions Effective – “Original Case Study”
Application Strategies for Session I
Practical Behavioral Strategies to Improve Your Safety Culture
- How to Develop a Reporting Culture
- Increasing awareness with Meaningful Safety Rules Australian Case Study – Hopkins
- Leaderships’ Responsibility in Developing Safety Culture
Leadership Roles & Responsibilities in Safety
- Krause – Working Interface
- What Motivates Leaders for Safety?
- ABC Analysis Tool for LeadershipActivities: BBS Pro/Con Debate Strengths & Weaknesses of BBS
- Strategies to Enhance Strengths & Overcome Weaknesses
How to Maximize Your Behavioral Safety Measures
- A serious weaknesses in Safety Management
- What are Leading Measures for Safety?
- Examples of Leading Measures
- 7 Ways to maximize your Behavioral Measures
Multiple Case Studies (Oil, Brewery, Steel) Activities: Drivers vs. Measures Site Specific BBS Measures
3 Tools for Behavioral Measures
- JSA Metric
- Near-Miss Metric
- Risk Matrix Application Strategies from Session I
How to Keep BBS Fresh & Evolving
- Execute with Excellence
- Maintain a Systematic Approach
Lessons Learned from BBS Implementations
Application - Participant Activity:
Preparing a BBS Blueprint for Individual Organizations: This Activity for both new BBS implementations and modification of existing BBS processes
Seminar Evaluation for Attendees